- About WIYN
- Observing at WIYN
At the Telescope
- Internal Use
ONE DEGREE IMAGER (ODI) Status Updates
ODI News Roundup: October 16, 2014
The long anticipated ODI upgrade is starting! We will add of order 12 (the final number is yet a bit uncertain) new detectors to the existing 13 detectors in the ODI focal plane. By rearranging the current detectors and adding new ones, the scientifically useful field of view of ODI will increase from the current 24' x 24' to approximately 40' by 40' on the sky. Yes, that is almost a 1 degree diagonal, so we can rightfully call our instrument the "One Degree Class Imager".
Just before Thanksgiving we will remove the ODI dewar from the telescope and, should we still be able to fit into our clean suits after Thanksgiving, work will start in the clean room to extract the focal plane. In January, the new detectors will be installed at the University of Arizona's Imaging Technology Laboratory and the upgraded focal plane will return to NOAO in early February.
Installation, dewar refurbishment, and extensive detector optimization will take us to mid May, when ODI will ship back to Kitt Peak. While the final dates are still evolving, we will schedule the installation of ODI right after Memorial Day. First light and commissioning throughput will occur in June 2015, allowing for first shared risk science data to be taken with 5x5 ODI in July 2015.
Follow us on twitter and facebook for more information as the ODI upgrade project progresses.
To read more about the commissioning of pODI read the, now defunct, ODI blog.
- ODI news Roundup: August 2014 August 2014
- ODI news Roundup: July 2013 July 24, 2013
- ODI news Roundup: September 2012 September 27, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: July 2012 July 31, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: Packing up ODI July 19, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: April 2012 April, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: January 2012 January, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: June 2010 June, 2010
- ODI news Roundup: April 2010 April, 2010
- ODI news Roundup: January 2010 January, 2010
- ODI news Roundup: August 2009 August, 2009
- ODI news Roundup: July 2009 July, 2009
- ODI news Roundup: March 2009 March, 2009
- The First CCD Controller Arrived in Tucson October 23, 2008
- Instrument Support Package - A First Fit Check October 22, 2008
- ODI Focal Plate Arrived October 17, 2008
Last modified: 16-Oct-2014 11:49:13 MST
- Observing at WIYN