- About WIYN
- Observing at WIYN
At the Telescope
- Internal Use
ONE DEGREE IMAGER (ODI) Status Updates
ODI News Roundup: August 2014
ODI has come off the telescope this summer to make room for this summer's WIYN mirror aluminizing. ODI is currently stowed at the new Kitt Peak instrument handling facility, and we are using this opportunity to perform general maintenance tasks on the instrument. The most pressing task is to replace worn out gears in the filter drive mechanism, but we are also cleaning all optical surfaces and servicing the cold heads on the dewar. ODI will go back to the telescope at the end of August and will be back in science operations with the start of the semester in early September.
ODI in the Kitt Peak Instrument Handling Facility
As the yearly replacement of the filter drive's gears is not supportable in the long-term, we have teamed up with Mike Smith (UW), Dustin Mason (UW) and Shelby Gott (NOAO) to rebuild the drive mechanics for the ODI filter arms. The current, problematic worm gears are to be replaced with a chain drive mechanism that causes less friction and wear. A prototype was recently demonstrated to work at UW Madison, and we are now moving towards detailed optimization, followed by endurance testing to simulate three years of operations.
Prototype of revised chain drive mechanism for the ODI filter arms. In lieu of an actual filter, a dummy weight is used to simulate the load on the drive mechanism.
In the meantime, planning proceeds to add more detectors to ODI's focal plane early next year; the goal is to expand the usable science field of view from the current 24' x 24' to 40' x 40'. We will post updates once the upgrade project is under way.
To read more about the commissioning of pODI read the, now defunct, ODI blog.
- ODI news Roundup: July 2013 July 24, 2013
- ODI news Roundup: September 2012 September 27, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: July 2012 July 31, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: Packing up ODI July 19, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: April 2012 April, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: January 2012 January, 2012
- ODI news Roundup: June 2010 June, 2010
- ODI news Roundup: April 2010 April, 2010
- ODI news Roundup: January 2010 January, 2010
- ODI news Roundup: August 2009 August, 2009
- ODI news Roundup: July 2009 July, 2009
- ODI news Roundup: March 2009 March, 2009
- The First CCD Controller Arrived in Tucson October 23, 2008
- Instrument Support Package - A First Fit Check October 22, 2008
- ODI Focal Plate Arrived October 17, 2008
Last modified: 16-Sep-2014 16:56:07 MST
- Observing at WIYN